Expert Solutions. Exceptional Experiences.
Quality Control Inspector
Compass is a privately-owned Canadian corporation specializing in small-to-large horsepower compression and process packages. With a “can do” attitude and strong entrepreneurial spirit, our workplace has achieved sustained strategic growth. We understand that a company is only as good as its people, and we’re proud of the exceptional team we’ve built at Compass. We have the following opportunity for an individual who enjoys a team oriented work environment.
Compass Energy is recruiting a Quality Control Inspector for its Pressure Vessel & Process Piping Department in Calgary, Alberta. Reporting to the Quality Control Manager, the Quality Control Inspector will engage in ensuring the safety, quality and adequate documentation of newly fabricated and retro-fit pressure equipment. The ideal candidate will have an interest in learning all aspects of Compass’ Quality Control Management System.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Learn and understand Compass Quality Management System to ensure all processes and procedures are followed
- Inspect and test all pressure vessels and process piping of in production and completed work, verify weld quality, maintain traceability of materials, correct dimensions, witness pressure testing, verify conformance with construction drawings and work order specifications while applying knowledge of welding principles and theory.
- Identify and understand all code/ customer requirements for in-production and completed fabrication for accuracy and compliance.
- Complete all documentation required for the construction of pressure vessels and process piping including MTR’s, NDE Reports, Hydro / Pneumatic testing reports, PWHT Records and Manufactures Data reports.
- Work with and assist additional QC Inspectors to ensure all pressure vessel and process piping documentation is accurate prior to completion.
- Maintain detailed written records concerning welding procedures, materials, quality, and instruction to contractors, daily reports and inspection tests made.
- Monitor welder / welding operator performance with respect to proper use of approved welding procedures, consistency in use of preferred fabrication methods and overall quality of workmanship.
- Coordinate owner inspectors and ABSA AIs.
- Ensure staff and contractors adhere to current safety regulations with respect to welding practices.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of current welding and welding inspection standards.
- Perform other related duties.
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Graduate from an Institute of Technology program such as welding engineering technology, with a focus on welding design and technology, and/or metallurgy.
- Must have experience with Pressure Vessels and Process Piping.
- Minimum 1 – 3 years demonstrated experience as a certified welding inspector and currently certified to CSA W178.2 Level 1/ 2 Welding Inspector.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of Canadian Welding Standards CSA B51, CSA W47.1 & W59 and ASME B31.3, Sec VIII & IX.
- ABSA – Welding Examiner Certificate would be considered a valuable asset.
- Previous Journeyman / B-Pressure welder experience would be considered an asset.
- Basic knowledge of NDE inspection methods and applications.
May be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time according to the needs of the location or company.